Tuesday, December 27, 2011

60 Hikes in 2012

As part of my effort to live a more healthy lifestyle I wanted to set a fitness goal for 2012. My friend Cheri inspired me when she set a fitness goal in 2011 to bike, walk, or ellyptical her way to her sisters' front door steps out-of-state.  What an accomplishment when she reached that goal! I thought to myself, I need a fitness goal to get myself more active again, but what could it be...? While Christmas shopping at a book store I came upon the book 60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Cincinnati by Tamara York.  This is it! I have my fitness goal.  I will hike all of the recommended hikes in the book in 2012.  I purchased the book and got to reading. Then reality set in! Thoughts started running through my head: 60 hikes! That's more than one hike a week! What about the winter months and bad weather? I don't know anything about hiking. What makes me think I can accomplish these hikes with my already crazy schedule? Are you nuts?!?!?  Then, I thought isn't that what a fitness goal is all about? Setting a goal that is challenging and seems almost out of reach, so that there is a real sense of accomplishment once you've achieved it? I started sharing the idea with friends and family. I got several offers from people saying, "I don't want to do one hike a week, but I might join you on a hike or two?"

This blog will serve as a place for me to share about my transformation from being an inexperienced hiker to hopefully an experienced one.  I will share pictures, stories, and tidbits about the different trails that I hike. As I share pitfalls and successes, I hope that others will learn from them. I also hope that readers will comment and share with me what they have learned from their own personal hiking experiences and will thus make a collective contribution to my transformation.

Today I bought my first pair of hiking boots. This was a lengthy process. I wanted something that would keep my feet dry and would also be comfortable. The first store I went to (a large sporting goods chain) didn't have a pair for under $110. Wow! This is going to be an investment. I shopped around at other stores. Many didn't carry women's shoes. I finally settled for a pair of Columbia women's hiking boots that I got for a bargain at $69. I am hopeful to be blister free! I will report back about this after my first couple of hikes!

My next task will be to create a schedule for the hikes. With my book in hand and my calendar by my side, here I go!!!!

11 comments:

  1. People come into our lives for a reason and without a doubt, you came into mine to absolutely inspire me, Mary Mitchell. I love the entire idea...the desire to live a healthier lifestyle...finding your inspiration while perusing a bookstore....sharing your journey with us via a blog. I will subscribe to the RSS feed of your blog so I can continue to be awed by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How exciting Mary. You and Cheryl are simply inspirational. I can't wait to see how your adventure unfolds. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you, and would love to join you on many of your adventures. I will put "hiking boots" on my shopping list. When I am not with you in person you can hear me inside your head cheering you on. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are so inspiring to me! I am so excited to hear your voice in this blog every week. I would love to join you for a hike in January when we come to Cincy! I am in a boot right now, however, I am hoping to be in complete recovery mode by then. Love you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I can already tell how important these comments are going to be to keep me motivated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right On Mary! You've motivated me now! I've been wanting to do more hiking here in Phoenix and start blogging also. You can do this, but I agree with you about the winter months, there...I'm sure you'll figure something out. But, it's all about the journey....

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Rhonda! I know that there are similar books in other areas. You should check your local book stores.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea Mary but you always have great ideas. I hope to do some of your hikes with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had one for Washington State, I guess I could get one for Phoenix and Sedona. Congratulations on your first hike!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today we hiked Mt. Elden in 45 degree weather. The sky was a robin's egg blue. No sign of deer, elk or mountain lions who occasionally come down from surrounding mountains to dine on deer. Glad to have hiking sticks as the patches of ice and snow can make for hazardous hiking.

    ReplyDelete